This salad is inspired by a George Calombaris Cypriot salad, however we’ve used quinoa instead of freekah. The fresh herbs give it a lovely freshness, the toasted seeds and nuts offer some delicious crunch and the yummy cumin yoghurt completes it making it almost a meal in itself. Enjoy...
1 bunch coriander, chopped
½ bunch parsley, chopped
½ red onion, finely diced
1 cup Kiwi Quinoa, uncooked
½ cup du puy lentils (uncooked) or 1 cup canned lentils
2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons baby capers
½ cup cranberries or currants
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt to taste
1 cup thick Greek yoghurt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon honey
1. Rinse 1 cup of Kiwi Quinoa and place in a
saucepan with 5 cups of water. Cover with
a lid and bring to the boil. Reduce heat
to a simmer for approximately 20 minutes
or until the tails of the quinoa release.
Strain excess water, set aside to cool.
2. Cook lentils in boiling water until tender. Rinse thoroughly and set aside to cool.
3. Mix the yoghurt, cumin and honey until combined. Use a little boiling water to melt the honey if it is solid.
4. In a medium bowl, place the coriander, parsley, red onion, quinoa, lentils, toasted nuts and seeds, capers, cranberries (or currants), red wine vinegar and olive oil. Mix well, season to taste.
5. Place into serving dish and top with cumin yoghurt.
Serves 8 • Takes 30 mins